The Linux Laptop Orchestra at Virginia Tech introduced a new wearable controller in 2019 that consolidates the Nintendo Wii Remote, MotionPlus extension, and Nunchuk into a wearable controller. The desired improvements were to:
- make the controller wearable;
- enable independent arm motion;
- increase expressivity;
- reduce the controller’s footprint, and
- maintain low-cost scalability.
The takeaway design principles for the design process were:
- Hardware robustness for increased longevity.
- Design simplicity for fabrication feasibility.
- Symmetrical pattern for balanced handedness.
- Modular design for the use and reuse of commercial sensors.
The Barwin cocktail robot
Barwin, a cocktail machine that uses an evolutionary algorithm to refine cocktails for its users.
Original team: Marcel Jira, Peter Regner, Peter Reschenhofer, Kyriakos Tsoukalas, and Jakob Unterwurzacher.